Stopping the Fake ID Epidemic in North Carolina
The United States has a problem with a growing proliferation of fake identification cards across the nation. Although many of these fake IDs come from increasingly sophisticated counterfeiters located overseas with highly sophisticated equipment, it doesn’t stop average Joe’s from taking a crack at ID forgery with PhotoShop and a digital scanner. The impact of the phenomenon is evident in all 50 states, especially in the state of North Carolina. As the stories below illustrate, fake identification has been highlighted in several recent events:
- In Charlotte, police arrested four people accused of coordinating and committing various acts of financial fraud. At the time of their arrest, authorities found evidence that the group were manufacturing fake IDs and bank records. Police also found multiple guns and ammunition, as well as drugs. Police were able to make all arrests without incident.
- In Wilmington, a three-month investigation ended in the arrest of a local man charged with manufacturing, selling and distributing approximately 250 fake IDs. Authorities noted that the operation was highly sophisticated, as they recovered several high-end computer towers, laser cutting devices, card stock, and fake state seals.
The Penalties for Fake ID possession in North Carolina
In the state of North Carolina, you will be charged with a misdemeanor if you are underage and are caught using a fake ID to:
- Gain entrance to an establishment where alcohol is sold
- Buy alcohol or alcoholic beverages
- Attempt to gain permission to purchase alcoholic beverages
Punishment for a crime of this nature involves a mandatory 1-year revocation of your driver’s license.
In all other situations involving a fake ID, the punishments are far more severe. Under North Carolina law, creating, altering or possessing a forged instrument (such as a fake ID) is a Class I felony. Should you be charged and convicted of this crime, you could face 4 to 10 months in prison and several fines.
How to Spot a Fake North Carolina ID
For bartenders, doormen, waiters, waitresses, notaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and any other individuals who must verify ID in a professional capacity, the surge in fake ID production and possession is troubling. Often times the party responsible for failing to spot a fake ID assumes just as much, or even more, liability than the party that presented the ID. Therefore, it is imperative that businesses needing to regular verify the identification of their patrons use the I.D. Checking Guide.
What the I.D. Checking Guide Includes:
- A full page or more for each U.S. state and Canadian province identity card sample, showing driver’s licenses and ID cards, plus U.S. and Canadian territories.
- Guidelines on standard North Carolina driver's license terms, term length, etc.
- An explanation of where ghost images, holographic overlay, UV elements, microprinting, and other security features should be found on valid North Carolina ID
- An explanation of what the proper alphanumeric sequencing of a North Carolina ID or Driver's license should be (i.e how many letters, numbers, etc.)
- Full details for past and current North Carolina driver's licenses in circulation.
- Minor Studies African — Explosion Umd The Adds Black "How to check driver’s licenses" techniques for training use.